How does a stress-free New Year sound? Like heaven, right? Unfortunately, we haven’t discovered the secret to a completely stress-free life (yet) but there are ways to improve your mental and physical health, as well as lower any unexpected stress. Strengthening both your body and mind is the perfect way to reduce the strain stress has on you. Our favorite ways to do this is yoga, and meditation.
If you’ve been pushing back meditating, don’t think breathing exercises can do much good… well, we’re about to blow your mind.
Have you ever heard of Wim Hof?
If not, it’s prime time to hear about this amazing man! Wim climbed the Mt. Everest… in shorts. Yes. You read that right. The only piece of clothing he had was shorts. No shoes, no shirt, no jacket. Just a pair of shorts. While this may sound completely crazy, it’s true. Wim attributes his ability to withstand extreme colds to meditation and his breathing exercises. He has also started teaching breathing classes that he claims will help you achieve the same cold-resistance as him.
Now, we’re not saying that you need to meditate so that you can climb mountains naked. But we’re using this as an example of how much of a difference meditation can make. Your mind is your greatest weapon – and it is up to you whether you will use it against yourself, or to conquer the world. Meditation helps bring you peace and clarity, along with strengthening your mind.
Still not convinced meditating into the New Year is for you?
Well, there’s only so much we can do to convince you to give meditating a try. But hopefully this list of benefits might do the trick!
When it comes to emotional and mental benefits, they can include:
- Lessening worry, anxiety, impulsivity, fear, loneliness and depression
- Gaining a new perspective on stressful situations
- Enhancing self-acceptance and self-esteem
- Increasing patience, tolerance and optimism
- Increasing imagination, memory, creativity and focus
- Helping to prevent emotional eating or smoking
And then there are physical benefits which include:
- Improved immune system and energy levels
- Improved breathing and heart rates as well as reduced blood pressure
- Lessening inflammatory disorders and asthma
- Lessening premenstrual and menopausal symptoms
- Helping to prevent Arthritis, Fibromyalgia and lessening symptoms of HIV
Hopefully by now, we managed to convinced you to give meditating an honest chance. You can start easy and try some of the meditations you can find in your Leaf app. If you aren’t fond of guided exercises, we also have 3D ambient meditations that you can use to create the perfect mood to take your mind on a relaxing journey.
Give it a try, you won’t regret it!
We’d love to hear which your favorite meditations are, share them in the comments below!